Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pesto

I had a friend request my pesto recipe, but this is one of those that's really hard, because it's just a "throw together" recipe. Really like cheese? Add more. Don't like garlic? cut it in half. Salt to taste. I've known people to use mint instead of basil for fish recipes, and parsley for steak. That's the beauty of fresh recipes like this; they're so versitile!

If I had to guess at my own pesto recipe, it would probably go like this:

For two pasta servings

1 cup (compacted) fresh basil leaves
two garlic cloves
1 2-inch square of parmesan
1/8 cup pecans (I know, I know, traditionally it's pine nuts, but pecans give it such a richer flavor, and as a Texan I usually have pecans in my freezer!)
Enough olive oil to make a sauce...maybe 1/2 cup?
Salt to taste

Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until uniform. Add more olive oil to make a sauce consistency, and add salt until flavors begin to expand (you'll know it when you taste it!). Serve with pasta, chicken, or use for my new favorite, pesto-crusted pork tenderloin.

No comments:

Post a Comment